Congressman Steve Austria brings over 36 years of dedicated public service and private sector business experience for his clients. He helps businesses and individuals smartly navigate where business and government intersect. Austria's experience includes 14 years of elected public service, as a member of the Ohio House of Representatives and the Ohio State Senate, before serving in the United States Congress where he represented over 725,000 Ohioans. Additionally, he has over 21 years of private sector experience as a personal and business financial advisor, as well as, a small business owner.
In 2008, Austria was elected as the first, first-generation Filipino-American to the United States Congress and represented Ohio's 7th Congressional District until January 3, 2013. While in Congress, he was elected by his colleagues as President of the Freshman Republican Class of the 111 th United States Congress. Congressman Austria served on the Homeland Security Committee, the Budget Committee and the influential House Appropriations Committee. While on the Appropriations Committee, he traveled internationally working on the subcommittees of Military Construction and Veterans Affairs; Commerce, Justice and Science; and State Foreign Operations, all having a significant impact on the state of Ohio and the nation. Additionally, Congressman Austria appointed Ohio business leaders, academia, retired military members and community leaders to head up the Blue Ribbon Commission to strengthen and support our military bases and promote businesses to more effectively compete for contracts within the department of Defense and federal government. Austria represented Wright Patterson Air Force Base, the largest single site employer in Ohio and the largest number of veterans than any other Ohio district.
Prior to serving in the United States Congress, Steve Austria served in the Ohio state legislature for 10 years from 1998 until 2008. He was first elected to the Ohio House of Representatives (1998-2000) where he focused much of his work helping small businesses and families across Ohio. Steve was then elected to the Ohio Senate (2000-2008) where he later rose to serve as Majority Whip of the Ohio Senate. His leadership position enabled him to deliver critical pieces of legislation focused on economic growth and tax reform in Ohio. While in the Senate, he served as Chairman of the Economic Development and Aerospace Technology Committee, Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, as well as, the Finance Committee and the Ways and Means Committee. Senator Austria was responsible for passing key job creation and business legislation, including tort reform and tax reduction. Additionally, he was a champion for veterans and authored the first concealed-carry gun law in Ohio. He became a strong advocate for protecting our children and families by introducing and passing, Jessica's Law and the Adam Walsh Child Protection Act in Ohio.
Steve served 14 years in public office before retiring in 2013 after his congressional district was eliminated. He never lost an election during his 14 years of public service. Prior to serving in public office, Steve was a successful Personal and Business Financial Advisor where he helped families and small businesses advance for nearly 20 years. In 2013, he became President and founder of Steve Austria and Associates LLC, combining years of dedicated public service and private sector business experience to help businesses navigate where business and government intersect. He currently serves as President of ZHF Consulting LLC in Columbus, Ohio. Austria continues his government affairs work nationally in the private sector with projects including the National Veterans Memorial and Museum and Preventative Alternative Measures to the Opioid Epidemic.
While serving in Congress, Steve was appointed to the RNC National Asian American Advisory Board where he has focused on outreach with the Asian-American communities on a national basis. During the 2016 election, Congressman Austria was appointed by then Presidential candidate Donald Trump to serve on the Asian Pacific American (APA) and Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Advisory Committee. Additionally, Steve Austria has been twice elected and currently serves on the Ohio Republican Party State Central Committee.
Steve and his wife, Eileen, reside in Beavercreek, Ohio and are the proud parents of three sons, Brian, Kevin, and Eric. Steve is the oldest of nine children and "The Austria family" was honored via President Reagan by Nancy Reagan, as one of nine "Great American Families" across the nation. Steve’s parents, Dr. Clement Austria, MD (passed) and Jean Austria include 9 children and 28 grandchildren.
- United States Congress (2009 - 2013)
- Ohio Senate (2001 - 2009)
- Ohio House (1999 – 2001)
- ZHF Consulting, LLC, President
- Zaino, Hall and Farrin, LLC, Senior Vice President
- Steve Austria and Associates LLC, Founder/President
- American Express Financial Services, Senior Financial Advisor
- IDS Financial Services, Financial Advisor
Awards and Honors
- US Chamber of Commerce "Spirit of Enterprise" Award
- NAM US Manufacturing "Legislative Excellence Award"
- NFIB Guardian of "Small Business Award"
- American Farm Bureau Federation "Friend of Farm Bureau"
- Watchdog of the Treasury Award
- NRA "A" rating
- Air Force Association "Wright Memorial Chapter Ambassador Award"
- Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys Legislator of the Year
- Action Ohio Coalition for Battered Women Outstanding Citizen Award
- Recognition of service on behalf of the Asian Pacific American Heritage Community
- Additional Awards and Honors available upon request
- Air Force Association WMC
o Honored with the Legacy Heritage Award
- Rotary International
o Congressional Champions for Polio Eradication
- Beavercreek Chamber of Commerce
o Awarded the Prestigious E.G. Shaw Award Community Service Award
- Fairborn Chamber of Commerce
o Awarded the Chamber President's Award
- Member, Miami Valley Military Affairs Committee
o Awarded the Outstanding Service Award
- Member, Carroll High School Board of Governance
o Named "Outstanding Alumni" by Carroll High School
- Additional Community Activities available upon request
Key Advocacy Accomplishments
- Secured Congressional legislation signed by President Trump into law, designating the National Veterans Memorial and Museum in recognition of all veterans across our nation
- Led a successful multi-million dollar public/private fundraising campaign, partnering universities and the private sector, to establish an innovative economic development center in Ohio to support workforce development, a drug free work environment and create new jobs
- Successfully worked to pass legislation on behalf of Ohio small family owned businesses to promote competition, lower taxes, save existing jobs and create new jobs
- Provided strategic support and advocated for successful passage of U.S. House legislation critical to the future of food and agriculture industries in the United States
- As a Congressman, appointed the “Blue Ribbon Commission” to strengthen and support our military bases and promote businesses to more effectively compete and win federal contracts in Ohio.
- As a member of the House Appropriations Committee, helped deliver millions of dollars to Wright Patterson Air Force Base; Ohio National Guard Bases; military and national guard bases nationally; active military and veterans across our nation
- As a State Senator, championed the elimination of Ohio’s state income tax for retired military personnel to incentivize veterans to reside in Ohio. Currently, there are approximately one million veterans living in Ohio
- As a member of the Ohio Senate Ways and Means Committee, worked to eliminate the Corporate Franchise Tax and phase out the Tangible Personal Property Tax while reducing Ohio’s personal income tax to protect and create private sector jobs